Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Outs and Outs

Lots of bloggers have been doing the "ins and outs" thing for a while now and I've been inspired, although today I would like to talk about my personal "outs" only. Since I feel like some of my most hated makeup looks are so loved by most of the bloggers I follow I thought I'd share a different opinion. My ins will follow shortly. So here they are!

forever OUTs!

1. fake tans. Ugh! This is just gross to me, so tacky. I'm not sure what it is about the fake tan that bothers me so much. I probably sound like a snob but it just seems so common and contrived to me. I love using cosmetics mostly to enhance natural beauty, so attempts at changing the colour of one's skin goes against that philosophy altogether. I just wish more people saw beauty in their own skin. Black is beautiful, brown is beautiful, and so is pale!
Fake tans are just that: Fake.

2. Bronzer. See #1.

3. Shimmery glittery makeup. I'm kind of an "all or nothing" kind of girl when it comes to shimmer. I like a pale subtly shimmer eyeshadow alone all over the lid or as a highlighter to give dimension, my favourite is Mac's shroom eyeshadow. But I would only wear shimmer on one feature at a time. On the other hand super glittery looks like this one from my favourite guru pixiwoo, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vRNJ-M0aHs&feature=channel_page, can be really nice for a special event or New Year's Eve. But medium/dark shimmery lid and crease colours like Mac's Sable or Tempting with a frost-finish highlight like Ricepaper for everyday is unflattering and somehow aging, in my opinion.

4. Nude lips. I have never understood this trend. It seems to me that one the prettiest and most flattering makeup looks is red/berry stained lips and cheeks, so i don't really get why women would want to look like they don't have lips. Someone please explain this to me.

5. Thin eyebrows. uh, harsh!

6. Cut-crease eyeshadow. I don't believe I have ever seen anyone with this in real life, only on youtube, but I think this look is a little too drag queeny for me.

7. Fake lashes. If you are otherwise doing a natural look with maybe no shadow and just liner, a few individual lashes can be quite nice and flirty. But a full set of lashes looks really fake and, like fake tan, you can always kind of tell when someone is wearing fake lashes, and that's just not cute.


So I guess that's it for right now. I'm sure I will think of a few other things to add, and I'm sorry if I just listed all of you favourite makeup looks!

1 comment:

  1. Hi!Thanks for stopping by my blog!
    Well I'll explain 2 things of the outs that I support : nude lips and fake lashes.
    I love nude lips, not nude, exactly the same colour as my face, but to make them look a bit less reddish. This draws all the attention to the eyes ( I like my eyes most on my face) and compliments them cause I always put some kind of liner.
    Now , about falsies, I was against too before I try them but it makes your eyes look pretty since I dont have big, thick eyelashes like other girls.I dont wear them everyday and I definitely dont choose anything that looks fake!

    ReplyDelete